Back Forty Offroad
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Right in the Face

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

No name family jeep built for the kid

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Stillneedaname

No name family jeep built for the kid Empty
PostSubject: No name family jeep built for the kid   No name family jeep built for the kid I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 10:15 am

Well we will start with a short history of everything and then get on to the plans. The jeep has been in the family since day one. dad fell in love with it the first day he saw it and soon after my mom and dad had a brand new jeep back in 1986. Itr remained stock all the way up until i got my hands on it. at which time i did my first mods i did a brush guard and a rear lock box for safe storage.
No name family jeep built for the kid DSC05021
No name family jeep built for the kid DSC05022
No name family jeep built for the kid DSC05023
Hopefully those work. that is the box my engine and my transmission. ill try to get one of the bumper soon

Plans for the jeep include 1ton rear axle, dana 60 or dana 44 front (have not decided yet). SBC 350 bored to 355 with a lunati towing cam. SM 465 transmission and NP 231 transfer case (or NP 242. depends if the guys wants to trade straight up) Lift will be stock springs on top of the axles this time a a one inch body lift. I will also be building my own full cage just have to design it first lol.

this will be a VERY slow build. but i just ordered some parts from Cut Throat 4x4 since i have some money and when they arive i will start all of the fun of tearing into the rear 14 bolt

{edit} I am building this for me (im the kid) im the youngest in the family so think i deserve the jeep Smile logic works right? BTW im 17 and doing this on a budget that includes gas for the jeep going to school every day and work 2-3 times a week. so it will progress as i get money. I am also the maintenance guy for someone's house (hes 45+ and works 50 hours a week plus is a swim coach. used to be my swim coach) so that pays when i get out there and do work.

Last edited by Stillneedaname on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Stillneedaname

PostSubject: Re: No name family jeep built for the kid   No name family jeep built for the kid I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 3:35 pm

I need opinion. What locker would you guys suggest for a front dana 44/60? i need it to be select able because i will be DD the jeep. I was looking at ARB but did not know if anyone else had any suggestions. Ox also looks like a good locker but im not sold on any of them. someone sell me one lol.
Back to top Go down
Shallow Pockets
Admin
Shallow Pockets

PostSubject: Re: No name family jeep built for the kid   No name family jeep built for the kid I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 5:13 pm

If funds allow I would Most Definitely go with the ARB. For reliability and select ability that is the way to go. Im Sure Rob will agree
Back to top Go down
http://www.backfortyoffroad.com
Stillneedaname

PostSubject: Re: No name family jeep built for the kid   No name family jeep built for the kid I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 6:31 pm

Alright cool. That's what i figured. Ill get the ARB at least for the front for the first part of the build. Do it once. Do it right. Thanks for the input. I think i might try to get that 14 bolt out today. should be fun
Back to top Go down
Stillneedaname

PostSubject: Re: No name family jeep built for the kid   No name family jeep built for the kid I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 3:05 am

Well i didnt get the 14 bolt out of the truck this weekend. i got busy helping friends. And today i took a sport Vance and Hines exhaust off of a GS500E motorcycle and "modified" it to fit my KLR250. the bikes definantly got alot more pep in it's step. not just because it's loud but because it no longer has a hard miss at 5-6K under heavy load.

decemeber 3rd is the day i will start riding that everywhere when im not snow wheeling. so 80 MPG will definantly save me money that i can spend on jeep parts.
Back to top Go down
Stillneedaname

PostSubject: Re: No name family jeep built for the kid   No name family jeep built for the kid I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 9:05 pm

When you get a chance HighYJ, could you move this to the build thread section with your one ton YJ build?
Back to top Go down
Stillneedaname

PostSubject: Re: No name family jeep built for the kid   No name family jeep built for the kid I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 10:45 pm

Thank you High YJ for the move. I also got my axle mounts in the mail today (well i found them inside in the mail pile don't know how long my mom was hiding it) I would just like to say those plates are beefy as hell. Also those things are heavy. Really really heavy. And those bolts are big. like massive. I like them. I will take pictures when i get the camera working again. And ill take one of the dif cover to. When that arrives. But packaging was nice and riding. somehow they managed to crush the package but that's not your fault. Also everything is accurately cut and bent. So far i love it.
Back to top Go down
Stillneedaname

PostSubject: Re: No name family jeep built for the kid   No name family jeep built for the kid I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 12:10 am

Got the dif cover in today Smile it's pretty. although i need to get a dip stick for my 14 bolt so i can actually fill it.
Back to top Go down
highyj

highyj

PostSubject: Re: No name family jeep built for the kid   No name family jeep built for the kid I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 12:09 pm

I'm glad you like all the parts ! This is how you fill a 14 bolt No name family jeep built for the kid Images10
Back to top Go down
http://stores.ebay.com/Cutthroat-4x4
Stillneedaname

PostSubject: Re: No name family jeep built for the kid   No name family jeep built for the kid I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 10:05 pm

I feel like an idiot for having forgotten that.
Back to top Go down
Stillneedaname

PostSubject: Re: No name family jeep built for the kid   No name family jeep built for the kid I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 7:05 pm

So some stuff went down today and well the RR shock mount broke off of the frame. Probably happened last time i took it offroad. i went into something to deep and bottomed out on my hitch and let the axle to full droop. In good news i fully paid off my 14 bolt Very Happy. but i still need a front axle. Im going to go with a 60 or a dana 44. whichever comes first at this point. Both can be had for pretty similar prices around here. so whichever i find first goes under the jeep. I have decided instead of dealing with the stop computer on a theoreticaly modded engine ill just get a mega squirt II and use that for as much as i can.
Back to top Go down
highyj

highyj

PostSubject: Re: No name family jeep built for the kid   No name family jeep built for the kid I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 12:43 pm

Any more progress ?
Back to top Go down
http://stores.ebay.com/Cutthroat-4x4
Stillneedaname

PostSubject: Re: No name family jeep built for the kid   No name family jeep built for the kid I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 11:29 pm

Not really. got a second job to pay for some things. still need to save up for the jeep but it's looking like 2 grand is the get it going amount and another grand of two for the other stuff i want. only have 300 saved right now... dad also took it off the road and put the plates on a car that doesnt run to try to motivate me to fix it.. so three people with two vehicles... but i did take the cherokee out for a spin in some buckingham mud. did everything trucks on 36" TSL's would do on 28" tires lol.

I need a winch for the wrangler. Hopefully I can come down and visit some time. There are some more things i meant to say but i cannot remember.
Back to top Go down
Stillneedaname

PostSubject: Re: No name family jeep built for the kid   No name family jeep built for the kid I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 12:17 am

Well good news guys. I took an aptitude test for spacial reasoning and pattern recognition. And scored in the 97th percentile. I get the official paper copy of my results tomorow and ill post up a pic of it. Hopefully this will help me get scholarships at NADC.
Back to top Go down
Shallow Pockets
Admin
Shallow Pockets

PostSubject: Re: No name family jeep built for the kid   No name family jeep built for the kid I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 9:25 am

I think at this stage everyone is no longer making progression except for Jared he seems to be doing well by the looks of his pictures. Myself, i dont have an indoor gayrage to work in and i would prefer not to combat the cold at all but have done some small things that and working 2 jobs, and going to class 3 nights a week until 10 and getting over a cold has really been holding me back. congrats on your test thing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.backfortyoffroad.com
Stillneedaname

PostSubject: Took way to long to get this up   No name family jeep built for the kid I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 1:24 am

No name family jeep built for the kid IMAG0045

That is the test results for the aptitude test i took.

I am heading down to Nashville, TN on friday to visit NADC and take a scholarship test. Wish me luck!
Back to top Go down
Stillneedaname

PostSubject: Re: No name family jeep built for the kid   No name family jeep built for the kid I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 2:27 pm

Well all kinds of fun has been happening. I got into NADC and now im on to making a scholarship portfolio in hopes of getting a full ride.

I also traded my 14bolt and goodies for it for front and rear dodge 44's front is a disconnect but i will just run a cable to it so i can disconnect the front. I ended up going to this because it is cheaper and will hopefully allow me to get my jeep to a point where i can drive it to NADC when i go. soon i will start tear down on the axles to clean them up and get ready for welding just need to get a transfer case so i can start to figure out where my pinion on the rear needs to point. W

When setting up the front axle should i care more about the alignement or where the pinion point when i set the front spring perchs? I it is camber that can be adjusted by moving the perch's (that is if i am remembering right)

Back to top Go down
fahkncj

fahkncj

PostSubject: Re: No name family jeep built for the kid   No name family jeep built for the kid I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 8:37 pm

nice
Back to top Go down
fahkncj

fahkncj

PostSubject: Re: No name family jeep built for the kid   No name family jeep built for the kid I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 8:38 pm

nice
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No name family jeep built for the kid   No name family jeep built for the kid I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No name family jeep built for the kid
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Back Forty Offroad :: General Tech Section :: Offroad Rigs :: Build Thread-
Jump to: